Twitter Loading Slow Images and Pi Hole - Solved

Twitter Loading Slow Images and Pi Hole

Really struggling with Pihole and Twitter, lots of images not showing, tweets taking an abnormal time to send, the log doesn’t show anything being blocked, but turning my raspberry pi off fixes the issue, switching it back on and Twitter goes to pieces again.
Twitter Loading Slow Images and Pi Hole



switched the DNS to google from cloudflare and all the gifs and videos reappeared.  I don't think Google's provide DoH like Cloudflare


I've been having this intermittent yet more and more frequent problem for a while now. Been trying to diagnose it but it's difficult to pinpoint the issue. From what I can tell, there is some issue with CNAME cache entries not updating correctly. From this thread, someone mentioned trying a different upstream DNS server if you're using Cloudflare. I changed mine to Google and haven't seen an issue since - except the Twitter app on Android still wigs out every now and again, but I'm pretty sure that's just an issue with the app. Images load fine when I "open in browser" every time now, unlike before where it would give NXDOMAIN errors.


the log doesn’t show anything being blocked, but turning my raspberry pi off fixes the issue, switching it back on and Twitter goes to pieces again.

This would indicate that Pi-hole is blocking some domain needed to load your content. Use these tools to help determine the cause: https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/how-do-i-determine-what-domain-an-ad-is-coming-from/1522


I've been having this exact same issue. It shows up after few hours. The logs would never show anything being blocked by Pihole, however turning on and off Pihole always fixed the issue. Later I learned that I only had to restart the DNS Resolver to fix the issue. Today I learned that by simply opening anyone's twitter pic (just the image) in a new tab, after about a min or less it would also resolve the issue. This is what I'm doing currently. I am currently using Cloudflair as my DNS server and have not tried switching to Google yet to see if that fixes the issue. I have the Google DNS sever blocked in order to force my Chromecast to use Pihole.


I think it has something to do with Cloudflare dns and their cache or something like that. Some info we gathered in This Thread . Seeing similar things with cloudflared on or off really. As said by other people changing providers seems to help. Switching dns will usually 'fix' it for a short while but I've seen it come back after say 30mins to an hour.

As outlined in that thread, it appears its related to a cname entry to another cdn that twitter is using for images, that lookup is returning a NODATA-IPv4 reply for some reason. So 90% sure it is not a pi-hole issue specifically, just dns (its never dns until it is dns). And honestly dont think theres much we can do to solve this other than make as much noise to twitter/cloudflare as possible. Cause its likely the reply cloudflare is getting from the authorative server and thus they pass that on down.

Hate to switch off of cloudflare for dns, so I've just put up with it. But its getting to that point.


No comments:

Post a Comment


Canada Internet Service Review Discussion Group
InternetCanada@groups.io
Canada 🇨🇦 Internet Service Review
https://groups.io/g/InternetCanada